Tasty Red Beans and Rice
Print this page
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning (see notes below)
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- additional 3 teaspoons adobo seasoning.
- In a large saucepan combine olive oil, kidney beans, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup
water, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons adobo. Simmer on low heat.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat,
cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed. Stir in remaining 3
teaspoons adobo. Serve beans over the rice.
Notes: Adobo seasoning is an all-purpose seasoning
with the central ingredients being garlic, oregano,
black pepper, and turmeric after that you can quite easily create your own blend.